What really is the mind?
Modern medicine and Science explains that all of our thoughts and feelings, and all of our behavior, is the product of activity in the brain. It is explained that the brain is made up of an enormous number of individual cells, called neurons, and that chain of neurons lead out of the brain and into the rest of the body, ultimately ending up in the muscles and thereby causing the body to move about and exhibit behavior.
For example, every time I speak, signals from my brain are causing the muscles of my mouth and tongue to move so as to form words.
The real question then becomes: what was the first neuron to send a signal when I decided to talk, and what caused it to send that signal?
The answer to that is “The Mind”.
Some people think that the mind is the brain or some other part or function of the body, but this is incorrect. The brain is a physical object that can be seen with the eyes and that can be photographed or operated on in surgery. The mind, on the other hand, is not a physical object. It cannot be seen with the eyes, nor can it be photographed or repaired by surgery. The brain, therefore, is not the mind but simply a part of the body.There is nothing within the body that can be identified as being our mind.
If the mind is not the brain, nor any other part of the body, what is it?
It is a formless continuum that functions to perceive and understand objects. Because the mind is formless, or non-physical, by nature, it is not obstructed by physical objects.
The mind is divided primarily into 2 parts, conscious and the subconscious
The conscious mind
The conscious mind is the part of your mind that is responsible for logic and reasoning, when I ask you about the sum of 3 plus 4 you use your conscious mind to add them together. When you decide to take any voluntary action like moving your hand or leg, this is done by you conscious mind. So whenever you are aware of the thing that you want to do, you do it with your conscious mind and whenever there is logic or reasoning you use your conscious mind.
The subconscious mind
The subconscious mind is the part of your mind responsible for all of your involuntary actions like experiencing emotions, like controlling your heart beat or breathing rate.Your subconscious mind is also a store for your beliefs and memories. Think of the subconscious mind as the store of everything that is currently not in your mind, it stores all of your previous experiences, your belief system, your memories, skills, all of the situations you have ever faced and all of the images that you have ever seen.
The best way to understand the subconscious mind is to take a look at the example of someone who just started to learn how to drive a car. At the beginning he will not be able to talk to anyone while driving because he will be focusing on the different details involved, in that case he is using his conscious mind to drive the car. A few weeks later when he becomes capable of driving he just goes into the car and automatically does everything without thinking of anything, he even may make cell phone calls while driving or talk to other friends. This happens because the driving information was transferred to the subconscious mind and so the conscious mind was free to be used for something else which is talking in the cell phone. The subconscious mind is responsible for the automatically triggered feelings and emotions that you suddenly experience on facing a new situation, for example when you are about to give a presentation all of the feelings of fear and anxiety are launched and controlled by the subconscious mind.
On the other hand, the conscious mind is responsible for logic, thinking and calculations.(actions that are done under your complete control) The subconscious mind also controls some other functions in your body like breathing and heart beats.
Another good example that can help you understand the subconscious mind is the process of breathing. Five minutes ago you were breathing because your subconscious mind was controlling this operation. Now, I want you to try to control your breath for one minute.
Of course you will be able to do it but this time it’s the conscious mind that is doing it. When you let go of the control, you are said to be handing over the task to your subconscious mind.
The Power of the Subconscious Mind
Your subconscious mind is far more powerful than your conscious one. By learning how to use and train your subconscious mind you will be able to control your behaviour, break bad habits, get rid of unwanted emotions and fix your belief system. To use the power of your subconscious mind you must first know how the subconscious mind works.
The subconscious mind has many governing rules. The following is an explanation of each of these rules:
Rules of the Subconscious Mind
• The subconscious mind does not differentiate between visualization and real situations: Have you been to a horror movie lately? If you have, then you must have noticed how your pulse raced in fear and horror even though you were in no real danger. Simply put, because your subconscious mind does not differentiate between real and imagined situations, it assumed that you were facing a real threat instead of merely an imaginary one. Now that you know this, you can use it to your own benefit. Suppose you had to give a presentation. If you visualize speaking well many times beforehand, your subconscious mind will actually believe that you have already performed well in many real presentations and so its more likely to keep up the same performance in the next one(the real one)!!
• The longer the subconscious mind believes something, the harder it will be to alter this belief in any way: if you have a longstanding belief, it will definitely be more difficult to alter than a recently formed one. Law of Association.
• Every thought causes a physical reaction: If you think that you are going to do badly in a presentation, your pulse and breathing would start to race as soon as you start talking. These physical changes were caused by one thing: an idea or thought.
• What you expect tends to be realized: If you are sure that you are going to fail an exam, you will indeed fail even if you had all that was needed to succeed. Your thoughts and expectations serve as the master plan for your subconscious mind, so whenever you think of something, your subconscious mind will do its best to make it come true.
• The subconscious mind always prevails in conflicts with the conscious one: If you are achluophobic (afraid of the dark) and you walked into a dark room, you will definitely feel fear, apprehension and anxiety swell within you, even while you try to convince yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of. This happens because the subconscious mind is more powerful than the conscious one, and will dominate your thoughts, and basically “win” any conflict with your conscious mind.
• The greater the conscious effort the lesser the subconscious response: This can be best explained by the example of someone suffering from insomnia(inability to sleep). Consciously trying to sleep will only make this person even more awake. By avoiding conscious effort and thinking of anything else instead, he/she would find that they will eventually nod off.
Your health is no exception to these rules, our habits of eating are programmed into our subconscious, and bad foods that we believe are tasty are often just a result of conditioning. Today most people know what is good and bad for their health, but they don’t understand the working of the mind, and therefore are helpless when it comes to change.
Eg: Coke commercials – the problem here is that no one keeps telling us how bad coke is and the company only tells us how refreshing it is.. obviously they have to make money..so they keep programming our heads and the output is consumption of coke. I am sure you all know that companies spend 100’s of thousands of dollars in doing research and using NLP to enter data into your head.. this is almost like a work of art..only that its illegal.. and no one does anything about it..Subliminal commands are being given to your brain, so that they can make money!!!You have to create your own programs.. NO ONE ELSE!!
When it comes to health, It also important to understand the difference between thoughts and beliefs, as this is where most people go wrong.
One of the most important things to know about the mind and reality is the difference between thoughts and beliefs.
The difference between a thought and a belief is that you may have thousands of thoughts going through your mind but none of them have any power except those that are beliefs.
A belief is a thought that you make real, or accept as true.
Choosing to make a thought real or not is a decision under the very power of your will. The subconscious mind is the seat of emotion and the storehouse of memory, therefore memory is tied to emotion. Emotion is energy in motion. The more emotion a thought has, the more it is able to move things. Weak thoughts have little emotion. Strong thoughts have much emotion.
Eg: If you have had a weight issue for years, every time you look at yourself you feel frustration and want to be slim, what you have just done now is given emotion to your thought, and the minute you do that, it is recorded in the subconscious because the subconscious mind is the seat of emotion. And since thought and emotion are tied together, every time you have the thought of being fat it brings frustration, making frustration the belief and the thought the thought…if frustration is your belief be rest assured that frustration will be your reality, as being fat is attached and associated to frustration due to conditioning.
A conscious thought only has effect as long as it is being consciously thought of. But when the thought is intensified with emotion until it generates enough momentum to continue flowing on its own and become perpetual. The thought becomes a memory and subconscious programming that runs the whole mind. Every true belief is not just conscious but subconscious and is tied to emotion. A belief is an emotionalized thought. The feeling of health produces health, NOT your thoughts. Feeling is a conscious perception of emotion. An emotion can run without your conscious realization until you become aware of it. Thinking and emotion are symbiotic.
When the information about driving was stored into your subconscious, it’s was stored as a program. Think of your mind as a computer and the driving information as a software that can be run automatically whenever needed. The same goes for lots of other activities and emotions.
Think of the case when you see chocolates, the installed program of temptation is launched and you may find yourself over indulging. By programming your subconscious mind with new programs you can fix lots of your health problems and make sure that the autopilot that takes over you is capable of running your system without ruining your health or causing you problems.
Its Mind over Matter for sure!!
Written by Sejal Vora
To read similar articles click here. For more information on how Naturotherapy can help you click here.